RISE (Restoring Identities after Sexual Exploitation) is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) corporation registered with the State of Oklahoma. It is a shelter providing a safe living environment to youth girls under age 18 who are victims of sex trafficking and/or commercial sexual exploitation.
RISE is a long-term residence that provides safe shelter where adolescent girls, ages 12-18, who have been victims of sex trafficking and/or commercial sexual exploitation can live and receive comprehensive and individualized services and mentoring/advocacy to permanently escape the world of the sex trade and become strong, independent, responsible adults.
There are at least 100,000 children prostituted within the U. S. annually, with an average starting age of 13. FBI reports indicate that each year in the United States, there are 293,000 children at risk for being trafficked and that most are 12 – 14 years of age.
RISE provides a safe living environment for youth girls who have been victims of sex trafficking and/or commercial sexual exploitation in Oklahoma. The shelter’s programming will additionally provide services or access to services in order to restore victims to survivors who are able to successfully and permanently escape life in the sex trade.
- Shelter – a 6 bed facility where victims reside in safety away from their traffickers and from sex buyers (a planned expansion will make the RISE capacity a 12 bed facility)
- Medical Care – offered in-house for routine care; outside the facility for additional care
- Counseling – contracted with outside service providers
- Education – Online school, GED classes
- Life Skills & Job Skills Training
- Unique Therapies – pet therapy, art therapy, music therapy, jewelry making
- Cosmetology – hair cuts and styling
- Fitness – on site exercise equipment, yoga classes
- Responsibility Development
- Mentoring/Advocacy – volunteer team who provide support at court hearings, transportation to and from off site services and general emotional support
- Spirituality – Bible studies, chapel services and prayer available to residents who request it
The mission of RISE shelter is based on the following principles:
- Commitment – RISE wants to provide and encourage pro-social relationships, strong interpersonal skills and to instill a sense of hope for the future
- Responsibility – The focus of RISE is to empower youth who have been victims of sex trafficking and/or commercial sexual exploitation to become survivors and independent, responsible adults by learning life skills, encouraging recognition of the value of education and providing opportunities to follow through on commitments
- Possibility – RISE wants to expand the perspective of the youth it serves to make them aware of the possibilities available to them in a life outside of and untainted by their past experiences in the sex trade
- Support – One’s support system greatly influences the path their individual life takes. RISE wants to surround youth victims of trafficking and/or commercial exploitation in a safe, caring, learning environment and with people who pass no judgment and are invested in helping them create positive futures.